Main Article Content
Pacific health, vector born illnesses, Workshop, Pacific countries
The aim of this paper is to explore best practice, practical, collaborative and culturally-informed solutions for organising events to serve identified areas of importance for Pacific regional countries. This paper describes the design and implementation of a two-day hands-on workshop designed to support organizational capacity and strengthen innovation, solutions, and communication around mosquito-borne diseases in the Pacific region. The workshop (TechCamp New Zealand) was organised by the University of Otago in collaboration with the U.S. Consulate General New Zealand and with support from the Pacific Community (SPC). We share our experiences with the objective of supporting partnership approaches by governments, research institutions and other non-profit organisations when engaging with Pacific countries.
1. World Health Organization. (2017). Global vector control response 2017-2030. Global vector control response 2017-2030.
2. Roth, A., Mercier, A., Lepers, C., Hoy, D., Duituturaga, S., Benyon, E., ... & Souares, Y. (2014). Concurrent outbreaks of dengue, chikungunya and Zika virus infections–an unprecedented epidemic wave of mosquito-borne viruses in the Pacific 2012–2014. Eurosurveillance, 19(41), 20929.
3. For more information on the specific objectives of TechCamp New Zealand, see: https://techcamp-nz.squarespace.com/
4. U.S. Department of State Bureau of International Information Programs. About TechCamp. https://techcamp.america.gov/about/
5. University of Otago. (2013). Pacific Strategic Framework 2013-2020.
6. Anderson, L., Sopoaga, F., & Jack, S. (In Press). Aedes Mosquito Control and Surveillance in the Pacific. Pacific Health Dialogue.
7. New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (2018). SafeTravel Pacific Cyclone Season: 1 November to 30 April. https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/news/pacific-cyclone-season-1-november-30-april-1
8. McIver, L., Kim, R., Woodward, A., Hales, S., Spickett, J., Katscherian, D., ... & Naicker, J. (2015). Health impacts of climate change in Pacific Island countries: a regional assessment of vulnerabilities and adaptation priorities. Environmental Health Perspectives, 124(11), 1707-1714.
9. Centers for Disease Control. (2018). Epi Info™. https://www.cdc.gov/epiinfo/index.html